logo Novoměstská radnice facebook
logo Novoměstská radnice facebook

About Us

DSC_0323_small.jpgThe New Town Hall, one of the national cultural monuments in Prague, has been operating as a semi-budgetary organization of the Prague 2 Municipal District since January 1, 2007. The intention was to revive the New Town Hall and expand the cultural programme.

At present, there are exhibitions, concerts, festivals, wedding ceremonies and other cultural or social events taking place here in unconventional representative spaces.

 

History

The New Town Hall is one of the national cultural monuments in Prague. Its history begins soon after the foundation of the New Town of Prague by Charles IV in 1348.

Over the centuries, the New Town Hall has witnessed many historical events – mentions about it can be found in sources dating back to 1377. In 1419, the first Prague defenestration took place - a crowd led by Jan Želivský and Jan Žižka threw the burgomaster, two town councillors and several burghers out a window, effectively starting the Hussite Revolution. The second Prague defenestration took place at the New Town Hall in 1483 during religious and political unrest in Prague towns, which broke out into an uprising and political upheaval. In 1518, when the New Town Hall became the seat of the Six-Member Office, the building underwent significant construction changes; it burnt down in 1559 and its reconstruction lasted until 1561. In 1609, the Protestant estate members came together to induce Rudolf II to issue the Letter of Majesty guaranteeing religious freedom. In 1784, after the merger of the Prague towns under the jurisdiction of one municipal authority, the Town Hall became the seat of a criminal court, and after 1859 it was purchased by the Headquarters of the Provincial Court. During further repairs in 1905, valuable remnants of the original architecture were discovered, according to which architects Wiehl and Hilbert reconstructed the original look of the Town Hall.

The mission of the Town Hall changed over the centuries. The original administrative centre of the New Town, the Town Hall became the seat of a court and the premises were used as a prison. For instance, in the years 1694 - 1695, the leader of the Chodové peasant rebellion Jan Sladký Kozina was placed here to await trial. The whole Prague was watching the trial with the legendary robber Václav Babinský in 1839. The so-called printing processes of the 1850s brought to the local jail the publishers such as Josef R. Vilímek, Vincenc Vávra or František Bozděch. In 1894, there was a political process with Omladina where over 70 people were convicted, among others Alois Rašín and Stanislav Kostka Neumann. The diversity of the origin and offences of the prisoners gave birth to a popular ditty "There is a lot of talk in the New Town prison - the thief, the gypsy and the editor sit there together."

Even executions took place in the courtyard of the Town Hall, the last of which was under the Nazi occupation. The last prisoner was Milada Horáková.

Before the general reconstruction, which began in the 1970s, the Town Hall served (in a very devastated state) as a workplace of the Transport Inspectorate, the courtyard was used by the Municipal Public Security Administration as a car park and garage of service cars. The overall reconstruction of the New Town Hall took place between 1975 and 1995. In 2007, the south wing facade was reconstructed (towards Charles Square) and the facade towards the courtyard wasrepaired.

 

Partners

 logo_i-Prague-page-001.jpg

 

logo1-rgb.jpeg

 

 xantypa_red.jpg

 TIM_obdelnik_logo.jpg

PragueEventsCalendar.jpg

  color.jpg

 reset.jpg

 logo.jpg  

 

 

 

 tipynavylety.jpg

 logo-web.jpg 

 logoNP.jpg

 


nahoru


logo Novoměstská radnice